Holy Family Sisters start afresh in Anuradhapura
In 1897 Bishop Joulian OMI gave half of the mission land to erect a Convent, school and orphanage. Mother Celeste was Superior of this Convent with some of the European Sisters and Sisters of St. Peter from Wennappuwa. In 1900 a Girls Orphanage was opened, and they were taught lace-making, dress-making and embroidery. In 1872 there 100 Catholics in Anuradhapura and 1920 it had increased to 1000 and with several Churches and chapels. The Sisters helped in the missionary work by conducting Catechism classes. In 1914 the Sisters took charge of the girls and they opened a separate English School in the Convent ground.