On 20th August 1894, the Holy Family Sisters arrived in Mannar and commenced their teaching ministry and sowed the first seed of their apostolic mission. They started teaching in the School called “The Good Shepherd School, from the writings of multi-lingual Pandit Rev. Fr. S. A . Gnanaprakasar OMI, we come to know that our Sisters under the leadership of Sr. Benedicta, resided in a small building in St. Mary’s Church compound.
The steps of growth in the Sisters’ mission
The Tamil Good Shepherd became the primary School and to foster the well-being of well-to- do families St. Xavier’s School was commenced as an English School and also as a bi-lingual School. Our Sisters were teaching in both Schools and they were also fully involved in the parish work.
Talaimannar – The point of connection to India
It is in Talaimannar that our Sisters wished to be a living presence to those in confusion, isolation and desperation. They served as good companions, good angels to those in distress and with love and concern and looked into their needs, directed them to places of safety and saw to their journey without losing the little they possessed. They pleaded on behalf of them with the officials and to respect them as human beings.
Holy Family in Trincomalee/Batticoloa Diocese